Two moms. Five daughters. Opposite ends of the globe.




Two moms. Five daughters. A friendship that spans opposite ends of the globe.



We have been best friends for ages with a shared love for good food. A desire of good health for ourselves and our families have lead us to exploring the paleo lifestyle together. Enjoy our adventure!



Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Cilantro-Lime Grilled Chicken

One of the toughest challenges I find trying to cook healthy is when I'm visiting family and am out of my own kitchen. Over the weekend we were headed to a cookout, so I took a family trick of dumping a jar of salad dressing over a bag of frozen chicken and made my own version from what I could find in the fridge. When I first tasted the mix I had some doubts, but after marinating and cooking it turned out fantastic!



Cilantro-Lime Grilled Chicken
Juice of 2 limes
large handful cilantro, chopped fine
small bunch of basil, chopped fine. (10-12 leaves)
½ red onion - chopped fine
olive oil (same amount as the juice you got from your limes.)
½ teaspoon (or more) ground cumin
I finely diced hot chili. (jalapeno, Serrano, ect… I used a Hungarian wax pepper from my dad’s garden and left the seeds in.)
S&P to taste.
Chicken breasts or tenderloins to serve 4 (usually I get free-range chickens from the Saturday market down the street - but in a pinch I'm willing to use frozen!)
Mix all ingredients and marinate at least 30 mins, or until chicken is thawed. Remove chicken from marinade and grill. While chicken is grilling, boil down the remaining marinade until liquid is almost gone and the mixture is like a chutney. (If that bothers you, then absolutely make extra to boil down, the taste was worth the effort.)
I served the chicken with avocado slices, the reduced marinade, and a side salad. I asked for criticism to help me out, but all I got were rave reviews!

No comments:

Post a Comment